* * * ATTENTION PUBLISHED NOVELISTS! * * *
Colorado Romance Writers is pleased to announce its annual Award of Excellence (AOE) contest for 2013. Romance novels copyrighted and published in 2012 are eligible. Entries to be judged by readers, booksellers and authors. Those entries scoring highest in their category advance to the final round.
Finalists to be notified no later than April 15, 2013. Finalists receive a certificate and a letter of congratulations. The finalist’s editor also receives a letter of acknowledgement.
Winners receive a certificate, letter of congratulations, and our golden heart Award of Excellence trophy. The winner’s editor also receives a letter of recognition. Winners to be announced June 15, 2013.
Entry Rules and Information
We are pleased to accept the following categories for this year’s contest. Email firstname.lastname@example.org, with any category questions or for more detailed definitions.
- Short Contemporary – Romantic category novels between 40,000 and 60,000 words with a contemporary theme.
- Long Contemporary – Romantic category novels over 60,000 words with a contemporary theme.
- Single Title – Relationship-centric romantic novels released as individual titles and not as part of a category series.
- Romantic Suspense – Romantic novels with strong suspense, mystery, or thriller elements interwoven into the plot.
- Historical – Romantic novels set prior to 1945. May include Regency, series/category, and single title offerings.
- Paranormal/Time Travel/Futuristic/Fantasy (P/TT/F/F) – Romantic novels featuring paranormal happenings, a fantasy world, or the future as an integral part of the plot.
- Inspirational – Romantic novels featuring a religious or spiritual belief system as a major part of the relationship.
- Young Adult – Novels with a strong romantic theme geared toward young adult readers.
- Mainstream w/Romantic Elements – A work of fiction containing a romantic element as an integral part of the story’s structure. In addition, the novel may also contain other themes as major points in the plot.
- Erotic Romance (Spicy Romance) – Romantic novels featuring explicit and frequent sexual content and adult language. No pedophilia, rape as titillation, necrophilia, knives or stabbing weapons used in or on various parts of the female anatomy, or bestiality (referring to common animals indigenous to earth).
- Entries must have an original copyright date of 2012.
- Entries must be full-length published novels. This is 40,000 words or more as defined by RWA.
- No novellas, anthologies, or individual stories contained in a duet, anthology or omnibus publication allowed.
- Entries are assigned to one category only. There are no double entries allowed.
- An official entry consists of three (3) copies of the title, an official, completed, and signed entry form, and the $15.00 early entry or $20.00 standard fee, paid via PayPal or a check/money order.
- A minimum of five (5) entries must be received for the category to be viable. The organizers of this contest may combine categories to meet the minimum, as necessary.
- Entries may be submitted by the author, an editor, a reader, etc. as long as all entry rules are followed.
- Authors may enter as many of their books as they wish that meet the entry qualifications. There is no limit by author.
- In lieu of three (3) final published copies of a print book, CRW will accept advance or bound galley copies.
- ePublished (.pdf format) books may be entered as long as they 1) are bound in a contest-quality manner and 2) meet all other category requirements. The entrant is responsible for producing or obtaining the contest-quality bound copies.
- When paying for your entry, make all checks and money orders payable to Colorado Romance Writers.
- If using PayPal, include your name, book title and category in the "Optional Instructions" section of the PayPal form.
- Send your entry to the Coordinator managing your category. See the table below to determine your Coordinator.
Send P/TT/F/F entries to:
Send Historical, Romantic Suspense & Erotic Romance entries to:
Send Short Contemporary, Long Contemporary & Single Title entries to:
Send Inspirational, Young Adult & Mainstream w/Romantic Elements entries to:
12122-B Bannock Circle
Westminster, CO 80234
12908 Krameria Street
Thornton, CO 80602
4525 Nassau Pl.
Boulder, CO 80301
1817 S. Coffman St.
Longmont, CO 80504
This year, we are introducing an early entry discount. To qualify for the discounted rate, your entry package must be mailed and received by your Coordinator by Monday, December 31, 2012.
To enter, send the following to the Coordinator handling your category:
- three (3) copies of the title
- an official completed and signed entry form
- the $15.00 (early) or $20.00 (standard) fee pre-paid via PayPal or included with the entry package as a check/money order made payable to Colorado Romance Writers
All entries must be received by Thursday, January 31, 2013.
Note: A recent email announcing the AOE contest gave the submission deadline as Friday, January 13, 2011. The actual submission deadline is Thursday, January 31, 2013. Apologies for any confusion.
Use a separate form for each entry
Books will not be returned
Entry Forms available here:
Note: The technology behind the Buy Now button seems to be a bit finicky. If you click the button and it does not quickly take you to the PayPal page, try clicking it again. After a slight pause of a second or two, the PayPal page should then begin loading. If the PayPal page still does not load even after you have clicked the button several times, please send an email to email@example.com to report the issue.
Thank you for entering!